Alderman Park

The neighborhood known as Alderman Park was developed beginning in early 1955 by W. C. Whelan, who purchased the property from Carlotta Townsend Alderman. This area, located north of the Arlington Expressway and east of Tree Hill Nature Preserve, would see a building boom that spanned from the mid-50s, through the 1960s and into the early 70s, eventually result ing in the 815 mostly brick and block homes of today.

Advertisements touted Alderman Park as “The Correct Address” with a “Galaxy of Heavenly Homes,” both contemporary and conventional, and cited the convenience to both the beach and town – with no traffic congestion!

Homes were designed by renowned architects including Robert C. Broward and George Fisher, to other architects whose names are unknown to us today. At the 1957 Parade of Homes, 17 builders were represented, and the Florida Times Union reported that “. . . some of the homes are quite elaborate; others are designed to be well within the financial reach of a large portion of the population.”

Even though almost sixty years have passed, home buyers still seek the convenience of Alderman Park, the solidly constructed homes, and the active community. Alderman Park Civic Association, formed in 1958 because of concern over a dangerous intersection at Townsend Blvd. and the Arlington Expressway, is recognized as the longest continuous civic association in Jacksonville. Among other activities are a Welcome Neighbor program, Neighborhood Watch, Yard of the Month contest, neighborhood-wide garage sales, a quarterly newsletter, directory and Christmas luminaries.



Comments are closed.