Monterey is the area of Arlington bounded by the St Johns River (west), Arlington Road (north), University Blvd. (east) and the Arlington Expressway(south). It occupies a large part of the northwest quadrant of the University Blvd/Arlington Expressway intersection, with its development likewise spawned by the opening of the Mathews Bridge in 1953.

Prior to the bridge’s construction, several historic communities were established in the area. Arlington Road was the main east-west road, and its western terminus at the St. Johns River was the landing for the ferry that shuttled passengers from Arlington to downtown Jacksonville until the 1930s. Maritime and other uses were also established in the area including the Arlington Post Office, originally housed in its own building on the hillside of the southwest corner of Arlington Road and River Bluff Road. After ferry service was discontinued, the town center migrated to the Cross-roads – the intersection of Chaseville Road (University Blvd) & Arlington Road, where it developed into Arlington’s first commercial district in the mid 1900s.

Monterey’s development evolved with a mix of uses that included banks, strip retail, office space, single family homes and multi-family apartments. It also included Riverton Towers, home to Jones College’s main campus.

Monterey’s residential subdivision includes more than 200 homes, largely built in the late 1950s to early 1960s. Though most are modest ranch homes, its riverfront is dominated by a number of custom built residences, grand specimens of Jacksonville’s mid-century modern architect built after the Mathews Bridge first opened, and Arlington – and Monterey – were the blank canvas upon which Jacksonville’s most prominent architects painted their residential masterpieces.

Comments are closed.